Photography- using a light tent

Hello, something a little different from me today. One of the things I really want to do this year is get better at my photography skills.I was very that my parents and husband clubbed together an bought me a Canon Camera for my birthday back in October. I have used it a lot since then but mostly on the auto settings and now I wanted to start learning a little more about all the settings. 

First of all I thought I'd show you where I take pictures. This is a light tent that I bought from 7 day shop, it was quite inexpensive and really helps soften harsh lighting and shadows. I use it with natural light from the window as well as with my two day-light lamps at night. It does come with different backdrops that you can Velcro inside but I tend to leave it empty.



Here you can see how I position the tent- it sits on my window sill and I also have a day-light lap to the side and one from above. Inside I have a sheet of A3 white card mounted on foam board and as a background I have 2 pieces of wood patterned scrapbook paper- again mounted on foam board. I set my tripod up in front go the scene- I usually have it directly inline with the card or slightly below it. I'm fairly happy with this set (its a bit of a squeeze as I only have a tiny room) but I still want to work on the light setting within the camera in order to give  a "whiter" look to my cards.

I hope you found this of some interest- I will share other details over the next few weeks.

Rebecca x x x

4 comments:

  1. Your lovely cards are always beautifully photographed and presented, so I think it's worth the effort you are putting in with the tent etc. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really helpful - thank you. I bought a light box a few weeks ago but it will be going on Ebay as I just can't get the lighting right without getting the internal lamp in the way of the shot. Hey ho. Have a daylight lamp on order so will refer back to your set up when it arrives! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing how you have yours set up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post. I was given something similar as a gift but cannot get the lighting right.... Mmmm, must try harder I think, Jo x

    ReplyDelete